Classic Rounds with Classic Gear on Classic Tracks

Re: Classic Rounds with Classic Gear on Classic Tracks

Postby freddiec » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:41 pm

Lag,
You have a great forum here! I was just introduced to it today. Its great to know that there are so many traditionalists out there like myself, that appreciate playing real "woods". The way the game was intended to be played. I have a decent size collection of persimmons, mostly old Mac Eye O Matics from the 1950s and a beautiful M85W (all original, but been refinished once) driver that I really enjoy playing. I'm still looking for the ultimate gamer that has a modern DG shaft. Like Arnie said , its intimidating when you first go back and play a 170 to 180 cc persimmon, but your eye easily likes that size and adjusts fairly easily. I make better swings with a Steel shafted persimmon I believe and the flight and feel you get when you hit it on the screws is what golf is all about for me. I'd like to eventually put together an "80s" bag, perhaps a set of Hogan PCs like I played with back then. I haven't had the chance to play a full 18 with a persimmon (usually bring it for 9 at the muni) on a championship style course, but will next year. It'll be fun.

Here is me in March of 09 hitting my M85W.
http://www.youtube.com/user/F7269
Fred
freddiec

Postby Addington Arnie » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:01 pm

freddiec wrote:Lag,
You have a great forum here! I was just introduced to it today. Its great to know that there are so many traditionalists out there like myself, that appreciate playing real "woods". The way the game was intended to be played. I have a decent size collection of persimmons, mostly old Mac Eye O Matics from the 1950s and a beautiful M85W (all original, but been refinished once) driver that I really enjoy playing. I'm still looking for the ultimate gamer that has a modern DG shaft. Like Arnie said , its intimidating when you first go back and play a 170 to 180 cc persimmon, but your eye easily likes that size and adjusts fairly easily. I make better swings with a Steel shafted persimmon I believe and the flight and feel you get when you hit it on the screws is what golf is all about for me. I'd like to eventually put together an "80s" bag, perhaps a set of Hogan PCs like I played with back then. I haven't had the chance to play a full 18 with a persimmon (usually bring it for 9 at the muni) on a championship style course, but will next year. It'll be fun.

Here is me in March of 09 hitting my M85W.
http://www.youtube.com/user/F7269

Hey Freddie great to see you over here! Freddie has a great collection of persimmons and is very knowledgable on all things related to Mac persimmon in particular and has been more than helpful in helping me build up my own collection. Along with Lag and Two he is also minaturised in doll form in our house so my wife can stick pins in him when the next shipment arrives at the front door :lol:

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby lagpressure » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 pm

Welcome..

Glad to have another persimmon lover here. There are a few of them floating around this site. Also players using blades and working on some more traditional swing techniques.

It's nice to know there are others who look down at a frying pan and think it should stay in the kitchen.

I never bought into the silly trend to out date the classic courses.. or try to pretend I am better than I am. I have never played a round of golf with a titanium driver.. still hitting persimmon.. Even the early Taylor Made Tour Burners looked cold and unattractive to me. A lot of the guys on tour used those because they could hit them off the fairway on par 5's, back when par 5's were not driver 5 iron holes. I just always carried a MacGregor MT 2 wood and did fine with that.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby welshdentist » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:30 am

We have to play at my place, Worplesdon. It's real good fun with the old gear...

2010 meet up required in the UK methinks
welshdentist

Postby Addington Arnie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Saturday saw the latest meet up for the UK Persimmon Challenge, kindly hosted by Welshdentist at Worplesdon (England), a great old school track. The match took the form of a scratch 4 ball better ball with WD and myself taking on two non ABS students who are lovers of the old stuff. The gear line ups were as follows:

Arnie: Titleist "John Erickson Custom" Driver, MacGregor MT irons, Wilson TPA VIII putter
WelshDentist: Joe Powell Driver (+ everyone elses at least once!), Spalding Bird on the Ball irons, Bullseye putter
Christian M: MacGregor Tourney Jack Nicklaus driver, Nicklaus 67 by MacGregor irons, George Low putter
Chris M: Cleveland Classic 10th Anniversary woods, Mizuno TP-9 irons, original Ping Anser putter

The modern ball was allowed on this ocassion and we played from the white "competition" tees. Early exchanges were fairly scrappy but it soon settled down with some nice golf being played all round but particularly by our host WD who seemd intent on waring a hole in the sweetspot of his 2 iron with 4 consecutive snorters baring down on the flag! The weaker half of the ABS partnership popped his head abover the parapit only ocassionally most notably hitting the pin with a 3 iron for a tap in birdie and coaxing a 4 iron close enought to the hole for a win on one of Worplesdons gorgeous set of par 3's. Handshakes were finally exchanged on the 17th with the ABS duo squeezing through 2 up. A great day all round and thanks to Welsh Dentist for his hospitality and excellent play.

Cheers, Arnie
Addington Arnie

Postby welshdentist » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:43 pm

I was possibly the best day of weather we have had this year 8-)

I quickly found out that my module work has made me hook the heck out of my regular shafted Joe Powell ( a test for flattening if I can find a taker?) hence my borrowing all the sexy Macgregors on offer. AA's Lag modified Titleist felt fantastic and looked so good behind the ball.

The course was in pretty good nick and it was interesting to see other guys hitting wood as I had nothing to compare to before.

Obviously it was no surprise the ABS guys were the ones hitting the stick out (AA twice!!!!) and I think we would have done better had I not struggled with the Bullseye so much... ;)

It was great fun playing proper gear and hope to repeat again soon.
welshdentist

Postby aiguille » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Great stuff guys,

What a great venue for an ABS meet and well done both of you in arctic February conditions. Striking a classic blade or a persimmon well in sub 4 degrees should be awarded a black belt henceforth..

Lets see if we can get Lag and Two over for a hit!

Mark
aiguille

Postby Pippolo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:34 am

Beautiful to read guys. Next time I'm in the UK I'll make sure to try some of the old tracks.
Pippolo

Postby lagpressure » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 pm

I'll be playing Lincoln Park here again soon...
thought this thread might need a bump..

anyone playing vintage courses with vintage gear?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby apples2967 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:14 pm

Im heading down to Royal Adelaide next month Lag. Thats about as classic as it gets down under. My levelumes should be here in time. Already have the Macs, and they are doing nicely thanks.

I will post some pics

Steve
apples2967

PreviousNext

Return to Top Threads (2000 Club)