Discussion About the Short Game and Closing

Hosted by Grady (NFBANDON)

Re: Discussion About the Short Game and Closing

Postby Stu Carlburger » Wed May 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Robbo,

Thanks!

My putting setup definitely is built to hit up on the ball. I get a very low right side -- mostly because I am very right-eye-dominant and that is the only way I've found that I can effectively see the line of the putt -- and have a rather pronounced forward press/shaft lean to deloft the putter. I set the left wrist straight, a bit arched downward, and slightly ahead of the putter head. I put a line on the ball and a line across the 2 balls of the putter. I set the putter behind the ball with my left hand, set my shoulders dead square to the line formed by the ball and putter, and dangle my right arm down then bring it forward to meet the putter. My grip pressure is very firm as is the arch in the left wrist. I putt with a "piston like" action a la Jack Nicklaus, with neither hand really leading or dominating.

If I observe my stroke, as I said elsewhere, I see it arch "inside the line" but I've not really made a conscious effort to do so, nor have I made a conscious effort to go straight back and straight through. But, as I said, I do like to feel like I've struck the ball on the upswing and am very conscious of observing the line rolling and using that feedback on the course. My biggest flaw comes from getting the ball just a bit too far forward in my stance, and thus kind of "skinning the ball" a bit. But, I prefer that to having it too far back and driving the ball down into the green and it hopping back up. I can usually tell immediately by the feel and sound of contact and make the adjustment -- for me, erring forward is a bit of a hedge in that that "skinned putt" will roll well, unlike the hopping putt. I want the low point of my putting arc to be about 1/4 before the ball.

As I said, much of this is due to my right eye dominance in that I know my bad habit was looking at the target and line by swinging my right eye around (and subsequently the shoulder open) and thus getting all skewed. I spent many a day on the practice green working on "rolling my right eye under" rather then turning the head and shoulders -- looking at the target sideways and under, rather than face on. It took a bit of discipline, but wasn't really that bad once I understood what I was trying to do and why.

As an aside, I was recently given a TrueRoll cylindrical putter and absolutely love the roll it produces -- it virtually eliminates (or at least greatly minimizes) the skid lofted putters create, and it gets the ball rolling end over end like nothing I've ever used. However, the model I was given isn't face balanced (although they have some that are) and although center-shafted, I absolutely HATE the feeling of the toe of the putter turning over through the strike. I can putt like that, if I choose to but I never seem to hole a lot of putts as compared to the method mentioned above. Similarly, I love the roll of the TrueRoll, but the results seemed to be great rolls but always a little left. I'm gonna try a face balanced version of it sometime soon.
Stu Carlburger

Postby k2baloo » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:08 pm

I think I may actually have a putter and technique that work. I shot even par for 18 today with only 25 putts and hitting 8 greens. Ball striking was rusty but I managed to score well anyway. This is a big change for me and it was fun to step up to 20 and 30 foot putts thinking they had a good chance to go in.

I did end up making 3 longer ones and only missed once inside of 10 feet. Hopefully, the good putting continues.
k2baloo

Postby LesMurray » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:18 am

I've been using the ABS chip roller method. I've had a couple of Bullseye putters bent and weighted to the ABS chip roller spec and have been putting with this method for a few months now. I don't have a lot of stats for my putting but I feel I am somewhat putting better. Getting a lot closer with my lag putts.
LesMurray

Postby Wknhacker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:47 am

k2baloo wrote:I think I may actually have a putter and technique that work. I shot even par for 18 today with only 25 putts and hitting 8 greens. Ball striking was rusty but I managed to score well anyway. This is a big change for me and it was fun to step up to 20 and 30 foot putts thinking they had a good chance to go in.

I did end up making 3 longer ones and only missed once inside of 10 feet. Hopefully, the good putting continues.

That's awesome K2. This summer my putting has been horrible. I can only dream of making 25 putts in a round. My ball striking improved this summer but so many birdie putts went to waste and were left on the table. Very frustrating.

I just couldn't get a good feel for the putting stroke. Lately, I've been practicing looking at the hole, or a target in between the ball and the hole, instead of looking at the ball when I putt and it has helped. The mind doesn't get caught up in the mechanics of the putting stroke and instead focuses on rolling the ball to the target. Still a long way to go but I've decided to practice this method during the long winter months.
"I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's golf game: it's called an eraser." - Arnold Palmer
Wknhacker

Postby lagpressure » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:26 pm

If you can chip well, then you should be able to putt as good or better.

Get your chipping down solid, then use that technique on the greens if you set up your gear correctly.
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby k2baloo » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Wknhacker wrote:
k2baloo wrote:I think I may actually have a putter and technique that work. I shot even par for 18 today with only 25 putts and hitting 8 greens. Ball striking was rusty but I managed to score well anyway. This is a big change for me and it was fun to step up to 20 and 30 foot putts thinking they had a good chance to go in.

That's awesome K2. This summer my putting has been horrible. I can only dream of making 25 putts in a round. My ball striking improved this summer but so many birdie putts went to waste and were left on the table. Very frustrating.

I just couldn't get a good feel for the putting stroke. Lately, I've been practicing looking at the hole, or a target in between the ball and the hole, instead of looking at the ball when I putt and it has helped. The mind doesn't get caught up in the mechanics of the putting stroke and instead focuses on rolling the ball to the target. Still a long way to go but I've decided to practice this method during the long winter months.

I know how that feels. Right now, I don't have any mechanical or swing thoughts. Since finding a putter I really like, it's more about just reading it correctly and committing to my line. Maybe it was a fluke day, who knows?? I only play 1-2 a month now with zero practice, so we'll see with time if it continues.

I don't do the chip roller method, but I did switch to a round grip on the putter like Lag uses, and I actually like it a lot.
k2baloo

Previous

Return to In Search of the Great Ball Strikers