Open Flashback

Open Flashback

Postby lagpressure » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:11 am

Came across this today, and after so many years, it's interesting to follow the train of thought. Also interesting that he actually got up and down from the green side bunker. It could have been a lot worse in reality.

lagpressure
Site Admin

Re: Open Flashback

Postby stevemcgee99 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah, I'd guess it wasn't that he was choking. Just faced with very difficult shots after taking the risk instead of playing it safe.
McGee
stevemcgee99

Postby LesMurray » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:50 pm

Reminds me of the 1989 Open Championship where Greg Norman's hopes for a victory go up in "sand" as he reaches the unreachable bunker on 18.

http://www.tubechop.com/watch/8660809
LesMurray

Postby lagpressure » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:45 pm

I remembered thinking why not hit driver off the tee as he had done that all the other rounds. Often a player (I know I do) will play a shot with a club that feels comfortable for the shape of the hole, trajectory etc. He hit the ball way right but there wasn't a lot over there, and he was ok. The second shot I think for many was a big question mark.... but knowing the rules, grandstands offer a free drop usually from a drop zone. I thought he was just intentionally going to block it right into the stands and take the drop. I'm sure he knew there was OB long and left over the green, so the block was the shot. Pitch onto the green, two putts and win easily.

The fact the ball bounced off the grandstands then back across the creek was incredibly unfortunate. I'm not sure of his lie, but it was fair enough to make good contact and easily fly the ball over the creek. I'm sure he knew this. But once the ball bounced back across the creek, then it was just a horrible situation.
I think the fact he got up and down from the green side bunker showed a courage that was not typical of a complete chocking collapse.

However, there is no doubt this will go down as one of the biggest collapses in a golf major.... but was it really?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby Mashie72 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:21 am

I agree that the decision for the 2nd shot was the issue. Looks like he was fighting a bad angle to the hole after the tee ball. OB left made him shy away from getting a better angle. But wedge (back in the fairway), then wedge on the green was probably the better choice since he only needed a 6 for the jug. Even if he hits the wedge back in the fairway and it trickles into the burn, he's still ok. Knock it on in 4 & 2 putt for the win.

NRG has played the hole..maybe he knows the right play
Attachments
Championship-18 Carn.jpg
Championship-18 Carn.jpg (125.59 KiB) Viewed 4385 times
"The secret is on the deck"
Mashie72

Postby NRG » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:24 am

Sorry Mashie, I nailed my Driver down the middle past Johnny Miller's bunker and left a Niblick to the green for a 4. :)

I agree with Lag, Driver was the play and his second shot was really unlucky not to get a drop zone. But surely a couple of wedges was the play?? I guess he wanted to do it in style.
NRG

Postby norcalvol » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:48 am

I agree as well with the choice of driver (whatever you feel the most comfortable with) and that the 2nd shot was his undoing.
The perceived risk of hitting the second shot to the fairway (and toward OOB) and toward the burn is the interesting point to me... he may not have been thinking clearly enough to understand that if he hit it into the burn in the fairway, he still had a likely easy double bogey and a victory... so he felt like he had to go to the green on the second.

Mashie72 wrote:I agree that the decision for the 2nd shot was the issue. Looks like he was fighting a bad angle to the hole after the tee ball. OB left made him shy away from getting a better angle. But wedge (back in the fairway), then wedge on the green was probably the better choice since he only needed a 6 for the jug. Even if he hits the wedge back in the fairway and it trickles into the burn, he's still ok. Knock it on in 4 & 2 putt for the win.

NRG has played the hole..maybe he knows the right play
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby lagpressure » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:15 am

Only he or his caddie would know, but he might have had a tuft of grass on the right side of his ball while the lie looked like clean contact from the rear. If he wedged from that angle back to the fairway, the lie might not have been as good. With a less that full shot, even with a wedge, it might have opened up the possibility of leaving it in the rough or catching a flyer out and going through the fairway. Then he might have felt that having to deal with the possibility of leaving it in the creek on the third. The two obstacles facing him were OB left over the green and the creek. He may have seen the good lie as a way to negotiate both. Block it right, swing hard.... he gets a drop from the grandstands either in them or line of sight. Hitting the stands and bouncing back over the creek probably did not enter his mind as a possibility.

Had his ball ended up near the stands, under, behind etc... it's a free drop and game over. Few question the decision at that point. But that is what is great about golf isn't it?
lagpressure
Site Admin

Postby norcalvol » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:06 pm

lagpressure wrote:...Hitting the stands and bouncing back over the creek probably did not enter his mind as a possibility....

I can't imagine anybody visualizing that possibility! Maybe Nicklaus or Watson since they were that kind of meticulous player.

BTW, do we know what JVV's typical miss was? Two-way misser? Right? Left?
I'm thinking maybe left because of how his drive and second shots seemed to be blocked to the right as you suggest to fight his typical miss.
Accelerate forever!
norcalvol

Postby LesMurray » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:55 pm

For those wishing to relive this year's duel between Lefty and Stenson here are rounds 3 and 4 for your viewing pleasure:

LesMurray

Next

Return to Birdies and Bogeys!